They say it’s a silent killer. Odorless, colorless, toxic fumes with symptoms similar to those of having the flu. It can kill you and your loved ones without you even knowing its there. Are you safeguarding your home against this deadly threat?
Step one is knowing where the threat comes from. The United States Environmental Protection Agency states carbon monoxide can come from “unvented kerosene and gas space heaters; leaking chimneys and furnaces; back-drafting from furnaces, gas water heaters, wood stoves, and fireplaces; gas stoves; generators and other gasoline powered equipment; automobile exhaust from attached garages; and tobacco smoke.” (http://www.epa.gov/iaq/co.html)
With winter upon us, and the possibility of power outages during large winter storms a reality, many homes have generators to help in these situations. But improper installation can cause carbon monoxide levels to rise, putting your family at risk. Ensure that generators are installed outside, away from your home, to ensure fumes aren’t entering your home. Never install generators in your home, including your garage or basement.
Another winter threat is fireplaces, wood or gas, and wood stoves. As you are snuggling up during a long winter night, you need to ensure that ventilation is sufficient. It’s always best to have a trained professional inspect and clean your fireplaces and wood stoves on a yearly basis.
So what else can you do? Buying a carbon monoxide detector is a cheap and easy way to ensure you are safe. For as little as $20, you can purchase detectors that will alert you if carbon monoxide levels get too high. And if they do, you can quickly evacuate the house and call the fire department for inspection of your home. Most states now require that when you sell your home, these detectors are already installed, just like fire and smoke alarms have been required for years.
So be safe this winter season and take precautions as needed. It really could save your life!
Here are some tips on how to stay safe when operating a portable generator:
Always read and observe the manufacturer’s instructions for safe operation.
Use heavy duty, outdoor rated extension cords with a wire gauge adequate for the appliance load.
If you are hard-wiring the generator to your home only use a qualified electrician to connect the generator to the house wiring. Make sure the electrician also installs a manual transfer switch to prevent a backfeed and prevent damage to your generator, wiring and appliances when power is restored.
Only operate a generator outdoors in a well-ventilated, dry area to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning.
Medfield Listing AlertsMedfield, MA - $799,900 - Single-Family - Colonial, Contemporary - Rooms:8 - Beds:4 - Baths:3/2Medfield, MA - $899,900 - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:9 - Beds:4 - Baths:3/1Medfield, MA - $3,200 - Rentals - - Rooms:7 - Beds:3 - Baths:3/1Medfield, MA - $760,000 - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:12 - Beds:4 - Baths:3/1Medfield, MA - $519,900 - Single-Family - Split Entry - Rooms:8 - Beds:4 - Baths:2/1
Boston Listing AlertsBoston, MA - $60,000 - Condo - Low-Rise - Rooms:3 - Beds:1 - Baths:125 minutes agoBoston, MA - $1,975 - Rentals - - Rooms:4 - Beds:1 - Baths:1/141 minutes agoBoston, MA - $6,950 - Rentals - - Rooms:5 - Beds:2 - Baths:243 minutes agoBoston, MA - $3,800 - Rentals - - Rooms:3 - Beds:1 - Baths:144 minutes agoBoston, MA - $1,695 - Rentals - - Rooms:3 - Beds:2 - Baths:159 minutes ago
Wellesley Listing AlertsWellesley, MA - $589,000 - Single-Family - Ranch - Rooms:8 - Beds:3 - Baths:211 hours agoWellesley, MA - $3,300 - Rentals - - Rooms:7 - Beds:4 - Baths:1/116 hours agoWellesley, MA - $8,000 - Rentals - - Rooms:9 - Beds:6 - Baths:3/1Wellesley, MA - $2,650,000 - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:12 - Beds:5 - Baths:4/1Wellesley, MA - $725,000 - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:8 - Beds:3 - Baths:2
- Medfield Named One of Top 20 Safest Towns in Massachusetts July 7, 2014Medfield was ranked No. 12 on a recent list of the 50 safest communities in Massachusetts. […]
- Is Dedham Among the Safest Towns in Massachusetts? July 7, 2014A number of towns around Dedham have been listed among the "50 safest communities in Massachusetts." […]
- Newly-Built Harding Street Colonial Features Energy-Efficient Construction July 5, 2014With two half baths. Large living areas and a custom kitchen of your dreams, stainless steel appliances. […]
- Spirits high, house full for early 4th July 4, 2014Governor Deval Patrick raises his arms in celebration after shooting one of Howitzers before the Boston Pops Fireworks Spectacular at the Esplanade. […]
- Dover Cell Tower Hearing, Site Walk Rescheduled to August July 2, 2014A public hearing regarding a proposed cell tower in Dover that would have access off Evergreen Way in Medfield has been postponed to August, according to local officials. […]
- Medfield Named One of Top 20 Safest Towns in Massachusetts July 7, 2014
- Which Communities Have the Most Expensive Car Insurance in Massachusetts? July 11, 2014ValuePenguin , a consumer finance website, recently ran the numbers to see which Massachusetts communities are paying the most and the least for auto insurance. […]
- Boston animal shelter found in crisis July 11, 2014Boston's city-run animal shelter is meant to be a sanctuary for abandoned and abused animals, a refuge for forsaken creatures. […]
- Mayor Walsh Proclaims Urban Agriculture Day in Boston July 11, 2014To recognize and appreciate those who engage in urban growing of any kind, & acknowledge the role of urban agriculture in supporting our neighborhoods. […]
- Boston, Mohegan Sun Reach Community Deal July 10, 2014Boston Mayor Marty Walsh has signed a surrounding community agreement with Mohegan Sun, as the gambling company seeks the sole casino license in the region. […]
- Which Communities Have the Most Expensive Car Insurance in Massachusetts? July 11, 2014
- Partners CEO needs calluses for criticism July 11, 2014The scalpels are out for Partners HealthCare as it tries to get even bigger, but Gary Gottlieb is not taking it personally. […]
- Pouring it on: Drizly to bring booze to Wellesley doorsteps July 10, 2014Not only are retailers like Fells Market and Roche Bros., gaining permission to sell beer and wine, and new restaurants like Juniper opening with bars , but now mobile app maker Drizly has begun making available the delivery of beer, wine and liquor to people in Wellesley . […]
- Movie "The Greens are Gone" filming in Wellesley July 10, 2014The Elm Bank Reservation neighborhood on the Wellesley/Dover/Natick line has been starry-eyed this week about movie trailers rolling through the area. […]
- Be well at the Wellesley Community Center July 10, 2014The Wellesley Community Center in partnership with the One for Health Foundation and Wellness 101 will present the Wellness 101 Health Challenge at the Community Center on Thursday, July 10, 7:00 - 8:00 p.m. Their goal is to change the focus of healthcare in America from sickness to wellness by using a holistic approach through seminars, games and ... (more) […]
- Partners CEO needs calluses for criticism July 11, 2014